Wednesday, January 14, 2009

First Impressions of Philly / Penn

I have been fairly impressed with Philadelphia in my first week in town. I signed a lease for an apartment at 23rd and Walnut which is just 10 minutes walking from campus. It's a spacious 1 bedroom on the 7th floor, with windows facing the South and the West. Everything seems great about the apartment so far except the 911 squad of ambulances and fire engines that head South on 23rd street at midnight.


Philadelphia is a manageable city. The weather is mild compared to New York and especially Boston. The people are also extremely friendly and down to earth, unlike a lot of the people in the Bay Area, New York, and Boston. Not a single person I've met in Philly so far has been anything but warm and kind. I guess it really is the City of Brotherly Love.

Adjusting to UPenn will take some time. I have never been in a university this large, with a medical school, law school, dental school, etc. MIT was much more homogeneous with the majority of students doing engineering, especially Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. I'm glad to be here at Penn though, and am finally getting to experience a large university with a variety of students across a variety of disciplines. I wonder if I had been an undergrad here, how would my life have been any different now? To be sure, I would have had more exposure to more kinds of people. And the environment here is very supportive, unlike MIT which adheres to the sink or swim approach that it is famous for.

Academics will be difficult for me. I am one of the few students in the program who doesn't have a life sciences background. When we are in class discussing pHs, pKas, etc. I have to go back into the deep trenches of my memory to remember these terms from college and high school. I guess this means that I'm going to have to work harder than everyone else just to catch up. But, I have to remind myself that the purpose of the next 2 years is to transition into health care, and it won't be easy. For the last 4 years, my brain has been wired to think in terms of business. For the 4 years before that, my brain was wired to think like an engineer. Now, I have to retrain my brain to think like a life scientist. I was good at these things at one point in time - a long time ago - can I be good or at least decent at them again? Or is this one transition too many for me? Time will tell. And time will also tell if this transition was even worth it, assuming I do make the transition. Right now, my goal is to finalize my classes and look for a health care job. Let's see how that goes.

6 comments:

raghavandr said...

Well written, Ravi! I know it's one more big transition, but I suggest you should look at the work not as a transition but as 'collecting and putting together pieces for a big whole'. Just believe in yourself and the work you are doing and you will see returns sooner rather than later.

StilettosOnCobblestones said...

That's cool that you already found a nice apt. Penn is really an amazing place, huh? The campus always feels so alive. How do you like your program so far?

zumba said...

Ravi, glad to hear that you like the city and surroundings. At least that part of the transition is taken care of. Education is all about training your brain to absorb information and process them. I am sure your basic brain power will help you to process this new information as well. Just be patient and focus. California is going through a spring like climate now so much so that folks are getting spring allergy in January!! I look forward to more news from you.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'll have more news on the program itself soon...

Anonymous said...

How's the program going???

Unknown said...

Hi Ravi: I m sure you have finally found your calling.I am sure you are going to be extremely happy in Philadelphia

Subscribe to Letter of Marque by Email