Monday, January 26, 2009

High Tech Education

As I write my first lab report for CBE 480, my genetic engineering lab class, I'm amazed by how much technology has improved and made education easier. In this class, I'm easily using things like Google Docs for all lab groups to share data and 'Blackboard' for the instructor to post documents for the course. In my lab report, I'm using Excel for graphs and Microsoft picture manager for photos - basically all software has improved so much that they are extremely easy to use. But outside of this class, I've seen that UPenn has fast wireless throughout the University and surrounding areas. Van Pelt library, where I do a lot of work, has numerous computers that are ready to use for any kind of work. I use my USB stick to transfer data from my home laptop to school computers. I know what my classmates are doing via Facebook, etc.

I compare my experience with technology now to when I was an undergrad from 1999 - 2004. Now, the technology is more robust, more freely available, and faster. Heck, I don't even have a desktop anymore just my trusty laptop and I'm telling you all this on something that didn't exist in my college days, a 'blog'. I'm convinced that technology truly is an effective productivity booster in the educational realm. I think my education will be that much less frustrating thanks to modern technology.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very true! How are classes this week?

Subscribe to Letter of Marque by Email