Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Crater Lake

Crater Lake is a massive lake in Klamath, Oregon that measures 24 miles in circumfrence and has a maximum depth of nearly 2,000 feet. The lake was formed when a volcano (Mount Mazama) collapsed and rain / snow accumulated in the crater over thousands of years. This was my 2nd time seeing Crater Lake, but I don't remember much from my first visit.

The drive from Ashland to Crater Lake was stunning. Once in the National Park, we decided against the two-hour boat tour and instead did a hike from the rim to the basin and back. The lake is crystal blue, with some parts around the edge aquamarine. This creates a multi-color reflection in clouds above the Lake.

At the Lake basin, we saw hikers jumping into the frigid lake waters. These jumps were captured by a lady taking pictures with a pinhole camera. I would have made this jump myself had I not come down with a cold - I have jumped off of many rocks into bodies of water in my time.
After the hike, we set off from the North side of the lake for Eugene. Our journey was significantly delayed by road work. At one point, we were parked for 15 minutes. But, we eventually made it to Eugene. 




Crater Lake is a must-see for folks visiting Oregon.   

No comments:

Subscribe to Letter of Marque by Email