Sunday, July 22, 2012

Tillamook

Tillamook, a city near the Oregon Coast named after a native American tribe, is famous for its dairy farms. Have you ever seen Tillamook cheese in the grocery store? Yup, that's from Tillamook, Oregon. We visited the Tillamook Dairy Farm museum, which offered samples of Tillamook Cheese and Tillamook ice cream, and the Blue Heron farm. It's a good thing I had my lactose pills with me. 


Looking at the daily schedule of a dairy farmer, I'm glad I didn't become one. I could not survive on 6 hours of sleep each night what with daily calf birthings to attend to. After visiting the dairy farms and sampling some cheese / ice cream, we drove back to the coast for a quick hike at Cape Lookout. Cape Lookout jets out into the Pacific Ocean and offers stunning views. From here, we took another spectacular drive east to Portland, 2 hours away.





No comments:

Subscribe to Letter of Marque by Email