Saturday, September 4, 2010

Surfing, Round 2

I went back to Ocean City on Tuesday for another round of surfing. I went with one of my friends - we left at 6:45am and returned at 11:30am. This was perfect timing because my MGMT 652 simulation began at 12pm. My classmates were shocked that I could fit surfing in before class. Most didn't know where the beach was. Anyways, I had a much better outing this time because I wore a wetsuit and used a longer board. Plus, I was better at avoiding waves as I swimming out to the break point. Lastly, I'm getting into better shape, with my weight being down to 156 lbs now. As a result, I got up 3 times during the day. But the best part of the day was seeing dolphins - that's right - dolphins! They were about 100 feet from me.

I was going to go to the beach again this weekend because Hurricane Earl was supposed to create huge waves (8 - 12 feet) in New Jersey. The other term for 8 - 12 ft is double overhead - it's what good surfers dream of. Being a beginner, I wouldn't dream of surfing in double overhead conditions. Boards can break in those conditions. But I definitely would watch.

I'm now working on starting a surfing club with a bunch of other first years. I estimate that 50 - 100 students would be interested in becoming members. We may expand our club to include general beach visits and scuba diving. I was thinking about calling it the Wharton Waveriders, how does that sound?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wharton Waveriders sounds exciting but a little scary.

Kenji said...

Coming to Wharton from Hawaii, I've always wondered where the beach was. I hope the club actually comes together.

Subscribe to Letter of Marque by Email